Follow us

UK & European Car Hire Excess Insurance

If you’re hiring a car abroad, take out our UK & Europe or Worldwide car hire excess cover. Should your hire car be damaged or stolen, we’ll reimburse the claims excess.


Which policy do I need?

  • If you’re travelling in one car, our Annual Europe policy will cover you and up to seven additional drivers
  • If you’re renting separately, or hiring more than one car at a time, choose our Family and Partners policy, which covers two lead drivers

UK & Europe Car Hire Excess Cover

  • Annual Europe policy and Family and Partners policy cover both you (the policyholder), plus up to seven additional drivers named on your rental agreement, as standard
  • Family and Partners policy covers two policy holders, who must be family members (defined as spouse, partner, parent, brother, sister, adult child or fiancé(e)), travelling together (which would also be covered with our Annual Worldwide policy) or separatelyOur standard policy covers up to 7 additional drivers who are covered provided they are named on the rental agreement. If you think that the lead policy holder may not be present on all journeys, our friends and family product allows you to add an additional lead driver to the policy giving you greater flexibility without buying more than one policy.
  • Cover for drivers aged 21 to 85 years old
  • Up to 60 days per rental period
  • Buy now, start your policy up to 364 days later
  • Cover for late pick up charges due to an unscheduled flight delay
  • Excess on damage and theft up to £6,500 per year
  • Damage caused by using the wrong type of fuel: up to £500 per claim and £2,000 per year
  • Car rental key cover up to £500 per claim and up to £2,000 per year
  • Flat battery cover up to £1,000 per year
  • Covers damage to the windows, undercarriage, roof, tyres and headlights not otherwise covered by damage waivers from car hire companies
  • UK car club rentals and courtesy cars
  • Online claims process

UK & Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance Exclusions

  • Rentals for longer than 60 days
  • Vehicles more than 10 years old
  • Vehicles worth more than £120,000
  • Commercial vehicles, motorbikes, camper vans, mobile homes or vans with more than nine seats. To insure your van hire, visit our van hire excess page.
  • Policyholders who are not residents of The UK, The Channel Islands, France, Spain, Italy, Sweden, The Netherlands, Republic of Ireland or Germany.
  • Accidental damage to the interior or contents of the vehicle or damage caused by general wear and tear or carriage of animals 
  • Where the rental vehicle is being driven by persons who are not named on the rental agreement
  • Where damage is the result of driving whilst on an un-made up road which is not designated as a public thoroughfare
  • Car hire in the region of Crimea
  • Costs associated with mechanical breakdown (Except exterior damage and towing costs)
  • Policies purchased after the collection of your rental vehicle

UK & Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance Policy Documents

Insurance4carhire’s European cover allows you the confidence to get out and explore all the continent has to offer. Our policies will reimburse you for excess payments in the event of an accident or theft of your hire car.

Choose our family and partners policy to allow another person close to you to rent a car as the lead name on the rental agreement.  This policy is ideal if you and a loved one know that you may not be travelling together on all of your trips throughout the year. This is also useful should you need to rent two cars at the same time.

Plus, benefit from great cover such as misfueling, bumps and scrapes however minor and multi-lingual international emergency assistance. We'll cover you for damage to the undercarriage, wheels, tyres, windows and roof where car hire companies don't. 

Car Rental Advice & Guides