Smiling agent speaking to a customer

In countries that don't cover CDW and SLI as standard cover within their car rental insurance policy, you’ll need four types of cover to ensure you are fully protected:

  1. Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) - to cover you should you collide with another car.

  2. Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) - to cover you in the event of theft.
  3. Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) - to cover the cost of any damage caused by your car, to another.

  4. Car hire excess insurance

Within this guide, we’ll look at what CDW, LDW and SLI mean for your car hire insurance, and how to avoid receiving an expensive bill if your rental car is damaged, stolen or involved in an accident while you are driving.

What is a Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) for rental cars?

A Collision Damage Waiver, often referred to as ‘CDW insurance,’ is not insurance as such. It’s an agreement from your car hire company to waive the costs of any damage incurred to the car in the event of a collision.

The driver remains responsible for the excess, but the rest of the cost is waived. It’s also worth noting that several parts of the car are not covered by CDW, such as: the tyres, wheels, undercarriage, roof and windscreen. However, a Worldwide Plus policy from insurance4carhire does cover this.

How much does Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) insurance cost?

Charges for CDW will vary across rental companies. Some will include CDW as standard. In some countries there is an additional cost for CDW. In the case that CDW is not provided, we can offer both CDW and SLI when you buy a Worldwide Plus policy.

If you rent a car in a country that does not typically cover CDW automatically (such as the US), through a UK-based company or website, CDW/LDW/SLI will usually – but not always – be included as part of the hire cost, as the company will assume it is required for travellers from Europe.

What is a Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)?

A Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) is the collective name for CDW and Theft Protection (TP), which also covers the costs of replacing the car if it is stolen. Usually, the excess on Theft Protection agreements are the same or higher than for CDW alone.

If you hire a car in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Africa or many parts of Asia, basic LDW cover will normally come as standard with a rental car or van. However, you will likely have to pay a large excess in the event of theft or damage - so please check your documentation carefully. If the car hire does not include LDW, you can get cover on our Worldwide Plus policy.

What is Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI)?

If you are involved in a car accident with a third party, supplemental liability insurance (SLI) insures you against any claims made by the third party to cover the cost of any damage to their car or injuries that they sustain.

SLI is also sometimes known as Additional Liability Insurance or ALI for short. In Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Africa and many Asian countries, SLI cover is normally included as standard when you hire a car.

Most car rental agreements in the USA, Canada, Caribbean, South and Central America offer no more than limited liability insurance, which can leave a car hirer exposed to high excess costs if they are involved in a serious accident and face litigation.

Rather than buying expensive SLI from your car rental company when you arrive in America, you can get our Worldwide Plus policy, which will either top up the cover provided by your rental company or act as primary cover where no SLI is provided with the rental agreement.

Top tips for renting a car in America

This is a marketing article from insurance4carhire.