Annual Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance from £59.99 a year.
Policyholder must be the lead driver on the rental agreement and the policy must be purchased prior to collecting the rental vehicle.
Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance
If you have an accident abroad and suffer damage to the car, or experience the loss of your hire vehicle due to theft, you’ll be liable to pay an excess amount to the hire company’s insurer to repair the damage.
When that happens, Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance reimburses you the cost of excess charges when you make a claim on a rented vehicle.
Our Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance policies are available for EU residents only.
- Excess on claims — Cover against excess costs of up to €6,500 in total, per year, if your hire car is damaged or stolen.
- Drivers aged between 21 and 84 — Cover for a wide range of insured drivers.
- Additional drivers — Cover for up to five additional drivers, as long as they’re named in your rental agreement. There’s no need to add them to your hire excess policy.
- 120-day rental periods — Covers trips for up to 120 consecutive days.
- 12-month multi-trip policies – Cover for multiple trips made in a year at a fixed cost; provided no single trip exceeds 120 days. Car club cover is also included within our annual multi-trip policies.
- Misfuelling and key cover — Cover for each, up to €500 per claim.
- Flat battery cover — Cover for up to €1,000 per claim.
- Fire, theft, and vandalism cover — Covers excess costs for claims resulting from damage by fire, theft, and malicious damage.
- Tyres and windscreen cover — Covers the excess on claims for the repair or replacement of your tyres and windscreen. This also includes damage to windows, headlights, undercarriage, and roof.
- Cover for baggage and personal effects — Cover for claims relating to personal effects (like clothing) and luggage stolen from your hire car.
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI).
- Courtesy car excess cover for any vehicle that’s loaned to you if your rental car is being repaired.
- Car rentals where the Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance policyholder doesn’t match the name of the lead driver on the rental agreement.
- Policies purchased after the collection of your rental vehicle.
- Cars worth more than €100,000 or which are over 20 years old.
- Cover for off-road driving.
- Commercial vehicles, motorbikes, camper vans, mobile homes, vans, or any vehicle with more than nine seats.
- Cover for policyholders that are not EU residents.
With our Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance policy, you’re covered in any country in the world, with only a handful of exceptions.
If you’re an EU resident looking for European hire car cover, take a look at our Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance.
Why choose insurance4carhire?
There are plenty of reasons to choose us for Car Hire Excess Insurance:
- A high level of cover — Cover excess up to the value of €6,500 in total per year.
- Additional drivers — Cover for up to five additional drivers named on your rental agreement.
- Flexible rental periods — Choose your level of cover for a single trip of up to 120 consecutive days, or annual multi-trip for individual trips up to 120 days at a time for up to 12 months.
- Multiple benefits included as standard — Includes cover for misfuelling, car keys, flat batteries, and even late pick-up charges due to delayed flights.
Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance FAQs
Single-trip Car Hire Excess Insurance policies provide excess cover for one single trip of up to 120 consecutive days. This option is ideal if you’re going to rent a car for a one-time journey.
An annual multi-trip policy covers your excess for multiple trips for a year, at a fixed cost (as long as no single trip exceeds 120 days). This is the most cost-effective option if you frequently hire cars throughout the year for travel or commuting. Our annual multi-trip policies also provide cover for cars hired from car clubs as well as rental companies.
Our single-trip car hire excess insurance policies cover everything that is available on an annual multi-trip policy, only for a limited time.
Yes. Our Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance extends to the person named as the lead driver, as well as up to five additional insured drivers provided that they are all named on the rental agreement.
Our standard Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance policy does not include cover for CDW.
While single-trip cover typically costs less than an annual policy, it’s often more cost-effective to choose annual multi-trip cover if you intend on hiring a car on two or more trips per year.
You may also be interested in…
Protect your finances from costly excess charges if you need to make a claim on a hire car in France, Germany, Spain, and more with our Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance.
Although there are variations in the levels of cover, the key difference is that with a single trip policy, you’ll have to take out a new policy every time you get a new car rental agreement.
Having a hire car on holiday could save you the hassle of sorting out transfers. Not only that, it offers you the freedom to really explore and get to grips with your holiday destination...
From storm-pummelled bridges and icy highways, through to narrow cliff face paths, we look at some of the most dangerous roads in the world. Heavy winds, unstable terrain and rockfalls can lead to car damage (or worse).