Car Club Excess Insurance

Annual excess insurance cover for car rentals

from £46.99

Buy Now

If you hire a car from a rental company or a car club, such as Zipcar or City Car Club and it is damaged or stolen, you will be expected to pay an amount towards the repair or replacement. This is called an excess or a deductible and can be upwards of £1,000. Car hire excess insurance is designed to reimburse your excess if you need to make a claim.

Car Club Excess Insurance from insurance4carhire is our Annual Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance policy and covers the excess on your car club rentals in the UK and car rentals in Europe for a year.

What does this policy cover?

What's included

Below is a summary of the key features and benefits of our car hire excess policy.

For full details, please see the policy wording.

  • The excess on damage and theft up to a maximum of £6,500 cover in total, per year
  • Drivers aged between 21 and 85 inclusive
  • Rental periods of up to 60 consecutive days 
  • Cover for up to seven additional drivers (so long as they’re named in your rental agreement) There is no need to add them to your insurance4carhire policy.
  • Misfuelling and car key cover – each up to £500 per claim (max. £2,000 per year)
  • Flat battery cover up to £1,000 per year
  • Late pick-up charges due to unscheduled flight delays
  • Car club rentals in the UK and general car rentals in Europe. See the full list of countries covered on the 'Where can I drive?' section on our homepage
  • Cover for your courtesy car (the vehicle loaned to you while your rental car is being repaired).

What's not included

Below are some of the key exclusions you need to be aware of.

Full details can be found in the policy wording.

  • Car rentals in which the insurance4carhire policy holder is not the lead driver on the rental agreement
  • Cars worth more than £120,000 or over 10 years old
  • Policies purchased after the collection of your rental vehicle
  • Cover for off-road driving
  • Commercial vehicles, motorbikes, camper vans, mobile homes, vans or any vehicle with more than nine seats, visit our van hire excess insurance page
  • Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI). Most rental policies include this, but some (notably in the US) do not. If you need CDW and SLI cover, visit our Annual Worldwide Plus CDW & SLI page.

Car Club Excess Insurance FAQs

How does Car Club excess insurance work?

Car club excess cover is an alternative to the excess cover offered by your car club. If you need to make a claim with your car club, simply pay the excess and then claim it back through insurance4carhire.

Do I need car club insurance?

Your car club will offer some level of insurance cover as standard, but there is likely to be a high excess (meaning that should you need to make a claim, you'll be liable to pay some amount towards it). Car club excess cover from insurance4carhire will cover this amount, so that should you make a claim, you'll be reimbursed for this excess.

What countries am I covered in for car club rentals?

Our car club policy covers car hires in Europe, including the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, Ireland, Iceland, islands in the Mediterranean, Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey, Canary Islands, Madeira, and the Azores. Please note, however, that it does not cover the Region of Crimea.

Can I use a regular car hire excess insurance policy for car clubs as well, such as Zipcar?

Our Annual Car Club policy is actually the same as our Annual Europe policy. This means that it will cover you for regular car hires as well as car club rentals, in Europe.

Related Articles

What is Car Hire Excess Insurance?

Car hire excess insurance is an optional insurance coverage which can protect you from the excess costs that you are required to pay in the event that your hire car hire is damaged or stolen.

View article

A Guide to Van Hire Excess Insurance

If you’re looking to hire a van, you will need to make sure you are insured against damage or theft of the vehicle and any damage to a third party. Read our guide to ensure you get the right insurance for the vehicle you have hired.

View article

What is a Collision Damage Waiver?

In many countries, car rental insurance policies include CDW and SLI as standard. However, if you are renting in certain countries, such as those in North, South or Central America, you may need to purchase CDW and SLI separately.

View article
More Articles


Our payment systems are verified by VeriSign.


For more information, or to find the answers to frequently asked questions please consult the FAQs.


Haven't been able to find the answer to your question using the FAQs page? Visit our contact us page.


We accept payment from Amex, Maestro, Mastercard and Visa cards.