Single Trip Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance

Daily car hire excess insurance for car rentals worldwide

From £12.79

Buy Now

Single Trip Worldwide car hire excess cover is suitable for short car rentals. If you're a hiring a car more than once this year, one of our annual policies may be better value!

Car hire excess insurance is designed to reimburse you for the excess you'd be required to pay when making a claim with your car rental company. For example, if your hire car were damaged or stolen, you would be expected to pay towards the repair or replacement. This is called an excess or deductible and can be more than £1,000. With an insurance4carhire policy you'd be able to claim back this excess.

What does this policy cover?

What's included

Below is a summary of the key features and benefits of our car hire excess policy.

For full details, please see the policy wording.

  • The excess on damage and theft up to a maximum of £6,500 cover in total
  • Drivers aged between 21 and 85 inclusive
  • Cover for up to seven additional drivers (so long as they’re named in your rental agreement) There is no need to add them to your insurance4carhire policy.
  • Rental periods of up to 60 consecutive days
  • Misfuelling and car key cover – each up to £500 per claim
  • Flat battery cover - up to £1,000 per rental
  • Late pick-up charges due to unscheduled flight delays
  • Cover for your courtesy car (the vehicle loaned to you while your rental car is being repaired, or if your own car is in the garage and you've been provided with a courtesy car).

What's not included

Below are some of the key exclusions you need to be aware of.

Full details can be found in the policy wording.

  • Car rentals in which the insurance4carhire policy holder is not the lead driver on the rental agreement
  • Cover for cars worth more than £120,000 or over 10 years old
  • Cover for off-road driving
  • Commercial vehicles, motorbikes, camper vans, mobile homes, vans or any vehicle with more than nine seats. For van hire excess insurance, visit our van hire excess insurance page
  • Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI). Most rental policies include this, but some (notably in the US) do not. If you need CDW and SLI cover, visit our Annual Worldwide Plus CDW and SLI page
  • Cover for policyholders that are not resident in the UK or the Isle of Man

Single Trip Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance FAQs

What is Single Trip Worldwide car hire excess insurance?

Single Trip Worldwide car hire excess insurance from insurance4carhire is a car rental excess policy available for single trips of under 60 consecutive days.

Where does the single trip insurance policy cover me?

Our single trip excess policy offers worldwide cover. Note that this excludes driving in: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, the region of Crimea, Sudan and Syria.

If I’m a named driver on a hire car, and not the lead (primary) driver, am I still covered?

If the lead driver is an insurance4carhire policy holder, you will be covered. If the lead driver is not a policy holder, you will not be covered, even if you yourself are a policy holder. To be covered by insurance4carhire, the primary (lead) driver must always be a policy holder.

Is Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) cover included in my single trip insurance policy?

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is not included in our single trip policy. If you require CDW, we offer an annual product which includes three covers under one policy: car hire excess insurance, CDW and Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI). Please visit our Worldwide Plus CDW & SLI page to find out more.

Is it cheaper to get single trip or annual car hire excess insurance?

This really depends on the length of your trip and where you are travelling. To compare the cost of a single trip daily policy versus an annual one, select 'Single Trip' on the pricing filter on our homepage.

Related Articles

What is Car Hire Excess Insurance?

Car hire excess insurance is an optional insurance coverage which can protect you from the excess costs that you are required to pay in the event that your hire car hire is damaged or stolen.

View article

A Guide to Van Hire Excess Insurance

If you’re looking to hire a van, you will need to make sure you are insured against damage or theft of the vehicle and any damage to a third party. Read our guide to ensure you get the right insurance for the vehicle you have hired.

View article

What is a Collision Damage Waiver?

In many countries, car rental insurance policies include CDW and SLI as standard. However, if you are renting in certain countries, such as those in North, South or Central America, you may need to purchase CDW and SLI separately.

View article
More Articles


Our payment systems are verified by VeriSign.


For more information, or to find the answers to frequently asked questions please consult the FAQs.


Haven't been able to find the answer to your question using the FAQs page? Visit our contact us page.


We accept payment from Amex, Maestro, Mastercard and Visa cards.