What is included in USA & Canada Car Hire Excess Insurance?
With this level of cover, you’ll get:
- Excess on claims — Cover against excess costs of up to €6,500 in total, per year if your hire car is damaged or stolen.
- Drivers between 21 and 84 — Cover for a wide age range of insured drivers from 21 and 84.
- Additional drivers — Cover for up to five additional drivers, as long as they’re named in your rental agreement. There’s no need to add them to your hire excess policy.
- 12-month multi-trip policies – Cover for multiple trips made in a year, at a fixed cost (provided no single trip exceeds 120 days). Car club cover is also included within our annual multi-trip policies.
- Misfuelling and key cover — Cover for each, up to €500 per claim.
- Flat battery cover — Cover for up to €1,000 per claim.
- Fire, theft, and vandalism cover — Covers excess costs for claims resulting from damage by fire, theft, and malicious damage.
- Tyres and windscreen cover — Covers the excess on claims for the repair or replacements of your tyres and windscreen. This also includes damage to windows, headlights, undercarriage, and roof.
- Cover for baggage and personal effects — Cover for claims relating to personal effects (like clothing) and luggage stolen from your hire car.
What is not included in USA & Canada Car Hire Excess Insurance?
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI).
- Courtesy car excess cover for any vehicle that’s loaned to you if your rental car is being repaired.
- Car rentals where the USA & Canada Car Hire Excess Insurance policyholder doesn’t match the name of the lead driver on the rental agreement.
- Policies purchased after the collection of your rental vehicle.
- Cars worth more than €100,000 or which are over 20 years old.
- Cover for off-road driving.
- Commercial vehicles, motorbikes, camper vans, mobile homes, vans, or any vehicle with more than nine seats.
- Cover for policyholders that are not EU residents.
Why should I take out USA & Canada Car Hire Excess Insurance with insurance4carhire?
There are plenty of reasons to choose us for Car Hire Excess Insurance:
- A high level of cover— Cover excess up to the value of €6,500 in total per year.
- Additional drivers — Cover for up to five additional drivers named on your rental agreement.
- Flexible rental periods — Choose your level of cover from single trip for up to 120 consecutive days, or annual multi-trip for individual trips up to 120 days at a time for up to 12 months.
- Multiple benefits included as standard — Includes cover for misfuelling, car keys, flat batteries, and even late pick-up charges due to delayed flights.
USA & Canada Car Hire Excess Insurance FAQs
What is the difference between single-trip and annual car hire excess insurance policies?
Single-trip Car Hire Excess Insurance policies provide excess cover for one single trip of up to 120 consecutive days. This option is ideal if you’re going to rent a car for a one-time journey.
An annual multi-trip policy covers your excess for multiple trips for a year, at a fixed cost (provided no single trip exceeds 120 days). This is the most cost-effective option if you frequently hire cars throughout the year for travel or commuting. Our annual multi-trip policies also provide cover for cars hired from car clubs as well as rental companies.
Do I have to have car insurance in America?
It is compulsory to have a minimum level of cover for third-party insurance.
For example, in California the minimum requirement for individual bodily injury is $15,000, whereas it’s only $5,000 for property damage. The minimum can vary from state to state.
In the UK and Republic of Ireland, the minimum requirement for car insurance is third-party cover which tends to provide cover for millions of pounds/euros.
Does this policy only cover me in the USA and Canada?
No, our USA & Canada Car Hire Excess Insurance also covers EU residents for claims made in most countries across the world, however some exclusions apply.
If I’m a named driver on a hire car but not the lead (primary) driver, is my excess still covered?
Yes. Our USA & Canada Car Hire Excess Insurance extends to the person named as the lead driver, plus up to five named drivers on the car rental agreement.
You may also be interested in…
Protect your finances from costly excess charges if you need to make a claim on a hire car in France, Germany, Spain, and more with our Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance.
No country is more synonymous with driving than the USA. From its major coastal cities to the rural interior, a road trip across the country can feel like you’re visiting different nations with their own identities.
We like to think our car excess insurance is nice and straightforward. Your car rental agreement however, might not be so easy to understand. With this in mind, we’ve put together a guide to car hire costs.