USA And Canada Desktop

USA & Canada Car Hire Excess Insurance Plus CDW & SLI

Collision Damage Waiver, Supplemental Liability Insurance and excess cover in one policy

Car rentals in the USA and Canada often exclude Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and a level of liability cover that is offered as standard with car hires in many other parts of the world.

  • Car hire excess cover simply covers any excess you would have to pay your car rental company in the event of a claim
  • Collision Damage Waiver is designed to cover you should you collide with another car
  • Supplemental Liability Insurance covers the cost of any damage caused by your car, to another.

Note that this is our Annual Worldwide Plus CDW & SLI Car Hire Excess Insurance policy and will cover your car hire rentals worldwide, not just in the USA and Canada.


Buy Now

What does this policy cover?

What's included

Below is a summary of the key features and benefits of our car hire excess policy.

For full details, please see the policy wording

  • The excess on damage and theft up to a maximum of £6,500 cover in total, per year
  • Drivers aged between 21 and 85 inclusive
  • Cover for up to seven additional drivers (so long as they’re named in your rental agreement)
  • Rental periods of up to 60 consecutive days
  • Collision Damage Waiver: up to $125,000, or the value of the rental vehicle or the value of the claim (whichever is the less)
  • Supplemental Liability Insurance: up to $1 million. However, in the US, you’re covered up to $250K if the state law deems this policy to provide primary liability coverage
  • Cover for your courtesy car (the vehicle loaned to you while your rental car is being repaired), or if your own car is in the garage and you’re given a courtesy car).

What's not included

Below are some of the key exclusions you need to be aware of.

Full details can be found in the policy wording.

  • Car rentals in which the insurance4carhire policy holder is not the lead driver on the rental agreement
  • Policies purchased after the collection of your rental vehicle
  • Cars worth more than £120,000 or over 10 years old
  • Cover for off-road driving
  • Commercial vehicles, motorbikes, camper vans, mobile homes, vans or any vehicle with more than nine seats. For van hire excess insurance, visit our van hire excess insurance page
  • Cover for policyholders that are not resident in the UK, Channel Islands, France, Spain, Italy, Sweden, The Netherlands, Republic of Ireland or Germany.
View Policy Documentation

USA & Canada Car Hire Excess Insurance FAQs

Insurance 4 Car Hire logo
Help Icon


Haven't been able to find the answer to your question using the FAQs page? Visit our contact us page.

Payment Icon


We accept payment by Visa, Mastercard and Maestro cards.

Security Icon


Secure payment. Your payment is safe with us.

Faqs Icon


For more information, or to find the answers to frequently asked questions please consult the FAQs.