Van Hire Excess Insurance

Daily van hire excess cover

from £10.99

Buy Now

Whether you're renting a van to move house, or renovating your home, our daily van hire excess insurance is here to protect your excess. 

If your van is damaged or stolen and you need to make a claim, you will be expected to pay an amount towards its repair or replacement. This is called an excess, and can be upwards of £1,000.

Our van hire excess insurance covers non-commercial van rentals in the UK and the Isle of Man. 

What does van hire excess insurance cover?

What's included

Below is a summary of the key features and benefits of our van hire excess policy.

For full details, please see the policy wording.

  • The excess on damage and theft up to a maximum of £6,500 cover in total
  • Drivers aged between 21 and 85 inclusive
  • Rental periods of up to 60 consecutive days
  • Cover for up to seven additional drivers (so long as they’re named in your rental agreement) There is no need to add them to your insurance4vanhire policy.
  • Misfuelling and car key cover – each up to £500 per claim.

What's not included

Below are some of the key exclusions you need to be aware of.

Full details can be found in the policy wording.

  • Van rentals in which the insurance4carhire policy holder is not the lead driver on the rental agreement
  • Policies purchased after the collection of your rental vehicle
  • Trucks, commercial vehicles and vans with an unloaded weight of more than 3.5 Tonnes
  • Damage to the interior or contents of the van
  • Cover for vans hired outside of the UK or the Isle of Man

Van Hire Excess Insurance FAQs

What is van hire excess insurance?

Van hire excess insurance is designed to cover the excess you'd have to pay towards a claim with your van hire company.

How does van hire excess insurance work?

If you have purchased our van hire excess policy from insurance4carhire, decline the van rental company’s excess cover at the counter when you collect the van. Please note that you will need to ensure your credit card has enough credit to cover the full excess amount at the time of collecting the van, as the rental company may reserve the funds on your card even if you are not charged.

If the van is damaged or stolen, the van rental company will charge your credit card for the excess amount. You can then claim for a full reimbursement (subject to any limits) of the excess through insurance4carhire.

Does my van insurance policy cover campervans and minibuses?

Our van hire excess policy covers vans for non-commercial use. Other restrictions are as follows: we cannot cover camper vans; vans with an unladen weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes; vans with a market value of over £50,000; or vans over 10 years old.

Can I get van hire cover for more than one driver?

If you, as an insurance4carhire policy holder, rent a van, you can add up to seven additional drivers (so long as they are named on the rental agreement) and they will also be covered.

Does van hire excess insurance cover me outside of the UK?

Our van hire excess insurance is limited to rentals in the Isle of Man and the United Kingdom.

Does your van hire excess policy include Collision Damage Waiver?

Our van policy is purely to cover your excess. You must ensure your van rental agreement includes Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) cover, also sometimes referred to as Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) cover. This tends to be standard in the UK.

Is van hire excess insurance a legal requirement?

No, daily van excess cover is a voluntary insurance. However, bear in mind that excesses can range £500-£2000 on average and therefore being covered can be worth it.

Related Articles

What is Car Hire Excess Insurance?

Car hire excess insurance is an optional insurance coverage which can protect you from the excess costs that you are required to pay in the event that your hire car hire is damaged or stolen.

View article

A Guide to Van Hire Excess Insurance

If you’re looking to hire a van, you will need to make sure you are insured against damage or theft of the vehicle and any damage to a third party. Read our guide to ensure you get the right insurance for the vehicle you have hired.

View article

What is a Collision Damage Waiver?

In many countries, car rental insurance policies include CDW and SLI as standard. However, if you are renting in certain countries, such as those in North, South or Central America, you may need to purchase CDW and SLI separately.

View article
More Articles


Our payment systems are verified by VeriSign.


For more information, or to find the answers to frequently asked questions please consult the FAQs.


Haven't been able to find the answer to your question using the FAQs page? Visit our contact us page.


We accept payment from Amex, Maestro, Mastercard and Visa cards.