Annual Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance

Cover the excess on a year's worth of car rentals

from £59.99

Buy Now

Hiring cars around the world? Avoid paying for your car hire excess insurance each time at the rental desk with our Annual Worldwide car hire excess insurance. This policy can be purchased as early as 364 days in advance, right up until before you collect your car.

If your hire car is damaged or stolen - and you need to make a claim with your car rental company - simply pay the excess and then claim it back with insurance4carhire.

What does this policy cover?

What's included

Below is a summary of the key features and benefits of our car hire excess policy.

For full details, please see the policy wording.

  • The excess on damage and theft up to a maximum of £6,500 cover in total, per year
  • Drivers aged between 21 and 85 inclusive
  • Cover for up to seven additional drivers (so long as they’re named in your rental agreement) There is no need to add them to your insurance4carhire policy.
  • Rental periods of up to 60 consecutive days
  • Misfuelling and car key cover – each up to £500 per claim (max. £2,000 per year)
  • Flat battery cover up to £1,000 per year
  • Late pick-up charges due to unscheduled flight delays
  • Cover for your courtesy car (the vehicle loaned to you while your rental car is being repaired, or if your own car is in the garage and you’re given a courtesy car).

What's not included

Below are some of the key exclusions you need to be aware of.

Full details can be found in the policy wording.

  • Car rentals in which the insurance4carhire policy holder is not the lead driver on the rental agreement
  • Policies purchased after the collection of your rental vehicle
  • Cover for off-road driving
  • Commercial vehicles, motorbikes, camper vans, mobile homes, vans or any vehicle with more than nine seats
  • Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI). Most rental policies include this, but some (notably in the US) do not. If you need CDW and SLI cover, visit our Annual Worldwide Plus CDW & SLI page
  • Cover for policyholders that are not residents in the UK or the Isle of Man

Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance FAQs

What is Annual Worldwide car hire excess insurance?

Our Annual Worldwide policy is a multi-trip car hire excess insurance policy designed to cover your car rentals worldwide. Note that this excludes driving in: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, the region of Crimea, Sudan and Syria.

How does Annual Worldwide car hire excess insurance work?

Annual Worldwide car hire excess insurance could save you money if you have an accident and damage your hire car. Car rental companies often include a high excess if you need to make a claim. An annual car hire excess policy will reimburse you for this excess for as many car rentals as you make within the year, up to £6,500.

If I’m a named driver on a hire car, and not the lead (primary) driver, am I still covered?

If the lead driver is an insurance4carhire policy holder, you will be covered. If the lead driver is not a policy holder, you will not be covered, even if you yourself are a policy holder. To be covered by insurance4carhire, the lead driver must always be a policy holder.

What is meant by a 'Joint' policy?

A 'Joint' policy, formerly known as a 'Family and Partners' policy, is an add-on available with the Annual Worldwide and Annual Europe car hire excess policies which gives lead driver status to two people. It is essentially no different to a discount for buying two policies for two people living at the same address*. You will be given the option to select this cover during the quote and buy journey.

*The two Joint policy policyholders must be related in one of the following ways: by marriage, civil partnership, engagement, parent-child, child-in-law, parent-in-law, sibling, sibling-in-law.

Is Collision Damage Waiver insurance included in my Worldwide Excess insurance policy?

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is not included in our Worldwide Excess policy. If you require CDW, we offer an annual product which includes three covers under one policy: car hire excess insurance, CDW and Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI). Please visit our Worldwide Plus CDW & SLI page to find out more.

Do I need to name additional drivers on my policy?

There is no need to add them to your insurance4carhire policy. All our policies automatically allow you to cover up to seven additional drivers per rental, as long as each driver is named as an additional driver on your rental agreement.

The lead driver on the rental agreement must be the insurance4carhire policy holder. The lead driver and each additional driver must be aged between 21 and 85 at the time of purchase and a resident in the United Kingdom or the Isle of Man.

Can additional drivers hire a car on their own?

No, additional drivers cannot hire a car on their own. The policy holder on the Insurance4carhire policy always must be the person named as the lead driver / car club member on any rental agreement. The policy holder can include up to seven additional insured drivers as long as each additional driver is named on the rental agreement.

If you require two family members to be a lead driver so they can hire two separate vehicles simultaneously or hire cars separately, you will need to purchase our joint policy. This policy is available to family members related in the following ways: by marriage, civil partnership, engagement, parent-child, child-in-law, parent-in-law, sibling, sibling-in-law. Our joint policy option is available with our Annual Europe and Annual Worldwide car hire excess policies.

Related Articles

What is Car Hire Excess Insurance?

Car hire excess insurance is an optional insurance coverage which can protect you from the excess costs that you are required to pay in the event that your hire car hire is damaged or stolen.

View article

A Guide to Van Hire Excess Insurance

If you’re looking to hire a van, you will need to make sure you are insured against damage or theft of the vehicle and any damage to a third party. Read our guide to ensure you get the right insurance for the vehicle you have hired.

View article

What is a Collision Damage Waiver?

In many countries, car rental insurance policies include CDW and SLI as standard. However, if you are renting in certain countries, such as those in North, South or Central America, you may need to purchase CDW and SLI separately.

View article
More Articles


Our payment systems are verified by VeriSign.


For more information, or to find the answers to frequently asked questions please consult the FAQs.


Haven't been able to find the answer to your question using the FAQs page? Visit our contact us page.


We accept payment from Amex, Maestro, Mastercard and Visa cards.