European Car Hire Excess Insurance
If you need to make a claim on a hire car in Europe, in countries like France, Germany, and Spain, you may be liable to pay an excess charge to repair or replace the vehicle.
Once you've taken out European Car Hire Excess Insurance, if your hire car is damaged or stolen, you’ll simply pay the excess to your car rental company and then claim back up to your maximum level of cover through insurance4carhire. It can be purchased up to 364 days in advance, with single trip and annual multi-trip policies available.
Our Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance policies are available for EU residents only.
- Excess insurance — Cover against excess costs of up to €6,500 in total, per year if your hire car is damaged or stolen.
- Drivers aged between 21 and 84 — Cover for a wide age range of insured drivers.
- Additional drivers — Cover for up to five additional drivers, as long as they’re named in your rental agreement.
- 120-day rental periods — Covers trips for up to 120 continuous days.
- 12-month multi-trip policies – Cover for multiple trips made in a year, at a fixed cost; provided no single trip exceeds 120 days. Car club cover is also included within our annual multi-trip policies.
- Misfuelling and car key cover — Cover for each, up to €500 per claim.
- Flat battery cover — Cover for up to €1,000 per claim.
- Late pick-up charges — Cover for late pick-up charges caused by unexpected flight delays.
- Fire, theft, and vandalism cover — Covers excess fees for claims resulting from damage by fire, theft, and malicious damage.
- Tyres and windscreen cover — Covers the excess on claims for the repair or replacement of your tyres and windscreen. This also includes damage to the windows, headlights, undercarriage, and roof.
- Personal effects and baggage cover — Cover for claims made on personal effects and baggage stolen from your hire car.
- Car rentals where the Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance policyholder doesn’t match the name of the lead driver on the rental agreement.
- Policies purchased after the collection of your rental vehicle.
- Cars worth more than €100,000 or over 20 years old.
- Claims relating to off-road driving.
- Commercial vehicles, motorbikes, camper vans, mobile homes, vans, or any vehicle with more than nine seats.
- Courtesy car excess cover for any vehicle that’s loaned to you if your rental car is being repaired.
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI).
With our Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance, you’ll be covered for all European countries to the West of the Ural Mountains. Along with mainland European countries — like France, Germany, and Spain — this also includes:
- The United Kingdom
- The Channel Islands
- Isle of Man
- Republic of Ireland
- The Mediterranean islands
- The Canary Islands
- The Azores
However, we cannot provide cover for:
- The Region of Crimea
- The Donetsk People’s Republic (DNR) region of Ukraine
- The Luhansk People’s Republic (LNR) region of Ukraine
We will not provide cover for claims arising from any areas to which the European Commission has advised against all but essential travel.
Up to date advice can be found on the European Commission's website: https://ec.europa.eu/consularprotection/travel-advice_en
Why should I take out Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance with insurance4carhire?
There are plenty of reasons to choose us for Car Hire Excess Insurance:
- A high level of cover — Cover excess up to the value of €6,500 in total per year.
- Additional drivers — Cover for up to five additional drivers named on your rental agreement.
- Flexible rental periods — Choose your level of cover for a single trip of up to 120 consecutive days, or annual multi-trip for individual trips up to 120 days at a time for up to 12 months.
- Multiple benefits included as standard — Includes cover for misfuelling, car keys, flat batteries, and even late pick-up charges due to delayed flights.
Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance FAQs
Single-trip car hire excess insurance policies will cover you for a single trip that lasts up to 120 consecutive days. This is a great option if you’re planning to rent a car on a one-off journey.
Annual multi-trip policies provide excess cover at a fixed cost for multiple trips in Europe, each lasting up to 120 days, for a year. It could be a cost-effective choice if you plan to hire cars for multiple trips throughout the year, for travel or commuting. With our annual multi-trip excess insurance, we will also cover hire cars from car clubs and rental companies.
If you suffer damage to or the loss of your hire vehicle due to theft while driving in Europe, you will usually be required to pay the excess costs upfront to start the claim process. Once the excess charge has been paid, the car rental company’s insurer will open an investigation to find out who was at fault and whether the claim is valid or not.
With a Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance policy from insurance4carhire, you will be repaid the excess charges up to your maximum level of cover.
Yes. Our Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance extends to the person named as the lead driver and up to five named drivers on the car rental agreement.
You may also be interested in...
When you think of a holiday in Spain, you undoubtedly don’t think of the insurance you’ll need if you’re hiring a car. When you do, the rental car company will usually include basic cover as part of the deal.
Although there are variations in the levels of cover, the key difference is that with a single trip policy, you’ll have to take out a new policy every time you get a new car rental agreement.
We like to think our car excess insurance is nice and straightforward. Your car rental agreement, however, might not be so easy to understand. With this in mind, we’ve put together a guide to car hire costs.