UK Car Hire Excess Insurance
If you suffer damage or the loss of your hire vehicle due to theft while driving in the UK, you may be liable to pay an excess charge to fix any damage.
With UK Car Hire Excess Insurance, you’ll be repaid the cost of your excess up to your maximum level of cover if you need to make a claim on a rented vehicle. Get a quick and easy quote for a single trip policy for up to 120 days, or an annual multi-trip policy for a year.
Our UK Car Hire Excess Insurance policies are available for EU residents only.
- Excess insurance — Cover against excess costs of up to €6,500 in total, per year if your hire car is damaged or stolen.
- Drivers between 21 and 84 — Cover for a wide age range of insured drivers from 21 and 84.
- Additional drivers — Cover for up to five additional drivers, as long as they’re named in your rental agreement.
- 120-day rental periods — Covers single trips for up to 120 continuous days.
- 12-month multi-trip policies – Cover for multiple trips made in a year, at a fixed cost (as long as no single trip exceeds 120 days). Car club cover is also included within our annual multi-trip policies.
- Misfuelling and car key cover — Cover for each, up to €500 per claim.
- Flat battery cover — Cover for up to €1,000 per claim.
- Late pick-up charges — Cover for late pick-up charges caused by unexpected flight delays.
- Fire, theft, and vandalism cover — Covers excess fees for claims resulting from damage by fire, theft, and malicious damage.
- Tyres and windscreen cover — Covers the excess on claims for the repair or replacements of your tyres and windscreen. This also includes damage to the windows, headlights, undercarriage, and roof. Personal effects and baggage cover — Cover for claims made on personal effects and baggage stolen from your hire car.
- Car rentals where the UK Car Hire Excess Insurance policyholder doesn’t match the name of the lead driver on the rental agreement.
- Policies purchased after the collection of your rental vehicle.
- Cars worth more than €100,000 or over 20 years old.
- Claims relating to off-road driving.
- Commercial vehicles, motorbikes, camper vans, mobile homes, vans, or any vehicle with more than nine seats.
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI).
- Courtesy car excess cover for any courtesy vehicle that’s loaned to you if your rental car is being repaired.
Why should I take out UK Car Hire Excess Insurance with insurance4carhire?
There are plenty of reasons to choose us for Car Hire Excess Insurance:
- A high level of cover — Cover excess up to the value of €6,500 in total per year.
- Additional drivers — Cover for up to five additional drivers named on your rental agreement.
- Flexible rental periods — Choose your level of cover from single trip for up to 120 consecutive days, or annual multi-trip for individual trips up to 120 days at a time for up to 12 months.
- Multiple benefits included as standard — Includes cover for misfuelling, car keys, flat batteries, and even late pick-up charges due to delayed flights.
UK Car Hire Excess Insurance FAQs
Single-trip car hire excess insurance policies provide cover for a single trip, for up to 120 consecutive days. This is a great option if you’re planning to rent a car on a one-off journey.
Annual multi-trip excess insurance policies offer excess cover for multiple trips in the UK for a year, at a fixed cost (provided no single trip exceeds 120 days). This is the most cost-effective option if you frequently hire cars for travel or commuting.
With our UK single-trip car hire excess insurance, you’ll receive the same benefits that are included on our annual multi-trip policy. The difference is that you will be financially covered for a period of up to 120 consecutive days, and the levels of protection offered on a single-trip policy vary slightly compared to a multi-trip policy.
Yes. Our UK Car Hire Excess Insurance provides excess cover for the lead driver and also extends to up to five additional insured drivers, as long as they are all named on the rental agreement.
Our UK Car Hire Excess Insurance does not provide CDW cover as most rentals in the UK will already include this within their rental agreement. Always check with your hire company.
Single-trip policies will typically be cheaper than an annual policy as they provide cover for a shorter amount of time. However, it could be more cost-effective to take out annual multi-trip cover if you’re hiring a vehicle for more than one trip per year.
You may also be interested in…
Protect your finances from costly excess charges if you need to make a claim on a hire car in France, Germany, Spain, and more with our Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance.
There are thousands of car rental desks across airports round the world, competing against each other in small spaces. In this guide we’ll explore whether it could be more beneficial to leave the airport before hiring a car for your trip.
These days we are happy to share taxis, homes, even our pets with complete strangers! This development offers great opportunities – especially with caravans. Instead of purchasing your own, you can rent or borrow one, and set off on a great holiday adventure.
We like to think our car excess insurance is nice and straightforward. Your car rental agreement however, might not be so easy to understand. With this in mind, we’ve put together a guide to car hire costs.